Cinnamon Bun Day!
The 4th of October is the official Cinnamon Bun Day.
There's an endless varieties of cinnamon bun recipes, but below is a pretty standard Swedish recipe that's both easy to make and delicious!
2 packets dry yeast
500g (2 C) milk
150g (approx 10 tbsp) butter
½ tsp salt
6 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tbsp ground cardamom
1 small egg
800g (28-29oz) unbleached flour
10 tbsp butter, softened
1dl (6 tbsp) sugar
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp milk
- In a small cup, warm some of the milk to finger temperature, sprinkle the yeast on top and set aside until it starts to bubble.
- Melt the rest of the butter and add milk, warm to 100F.
- Mix together flour, except for 1 c, sugar, cardamom and salt in a large bowl. Stir together.
- Add the milk and butter mixture to the large bowl together with the egg. Knead into a dough for about 10 min until the dough is smooth and elastic.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size, approx. 45-60 min.
- Meanwhile cream together the ingredients for the filling.
- Punch down the dough and roll it out into a large rectangle and spread the filling on top.
- To finish the roll there are several ways to do it. The easiest is to roll it from the long side, like a jellyroll, and then cut approx. 1” thick slices and place them into muffin liners. Or, fold the dough in half, cut long strips of dough that you twist into knots.
- Place buns onto parchment paper and cover, let rise for 30 min.
- Preheat the oven to 475F.
- Brush the buns with the beaten egg and sprinkle with pearl sugar.
- Bake for 7-8 min in the middle of the oven or until golden.