Makes 12-15 buns depending on size. Oven temperature 425F.
- 7 tablespoon butter
- 1 1/4 c milk
- 1 package Kron Jäst (dry yeast for sweet dough)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 c sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 4 c all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 5 ounces almond paste
- whipping cream
- some of the crumbs from inside buns
- 1 c whipping cream
- powdered sugar for dusting
TO MAKE THE BUNS
1. Melt the butter and add the milk. Heat to 120F.
2. Add the dry yeast and 1 c of the flour to a dough mixer. Add the sugar and warmed milk. Stir until the yeast and sugar has dissolved. Let sit for approx. 10 min or until it starts to bubble.
3. Combine the baking powder with the rest of the flour, salt and cardamom. Add the egg to the yeast mixture and gradually add the rest of the flour.
4. Knead or work the dough until smooth and elastic. The dough should be still sticky. Cover the bowl and let rise for 30 min or until almost double in size.
5. Work the dough on a lightly floured surface. Divide into 12-15 pieces, depending on how large you want the buns. Form each piece into a round, smooth ball. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
6. Brush with beaten egg. Bake on the center oven rack for 8-10 min. Let cool under kitchen towels.
7. Cut off the tops of the buns and remove some of the inside, but do not break through the outer surface of the buns.
TO MAKE THE FILLING
Grate the almonds paste, mix with the inside crumbs from the buns (perhaps half of the inside) and add whipping cream to get a creamy but firm filling.
TO ASSEMBLE THE SEMLOR
Fill the inside of the bun with the almond paste filling, whip the cream and pipe around the filling. Top with the lid. Sift powdered sugar over the bun.