These cookies are very different from any American cookies you've ever tried. The consistency is what makes them unique and it's thanks to the Hjorthornssalt, Baker's ammonia.
Hjorthornssalt is the rising agent used in all "Dream Cookies" and it makes the cookies very delicate and porous. When you bite into a cookie you'll notice at first that they are hard, but once it's in your mouth it will just fall apart like it was a cookie made of sand!
Sounds like a weird cookie, but they are really good, and don't get put off by the smell while they're baking, it's the ammonia. Also, wait with sampling until they've cooled completely, or they will taste very strange.
makes approx. 30 cookies
What you will need:
5 oz butter, softened
1/3 c sugar
1 1/2 c flour
4 oz almonds
3 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 teaspoon hjorthornssalt
1. Start by roasting the almonds in a dry skillet on medium temperature, or in the oven at 350F. Once they've cooled put them in a food processer and mix until finely chopped. Set aside in a bowl. Turn the oven down to 300F.
2. Add the butter and sugar to the processer, no need to clean in between. Mix until light and fluffy.
3. Mix the flour, cocoa powder and hjortronsalt in a bowl.
4. Add flour mixture to the eggs and sugar together with the almonds. Mix until well combined. If using beaters you will have to mix it by hand in the end until a dough forms.
5. Roll the dough into rolls, cut them into 30 pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
6. Place the balls on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 22 min and let cool completely on the baking sheet.
7. Dust with powdered sugar before serving if you'd like.
Comments will be approved before showing up.