We love cinnamon buns in Sweden. There are many, many varieties of these classic buns. Here's a very clever way to form the buns to make a heart!
This recipe has not just cinnamon in the buns but cardamom and almond paste as well.
Oven temperature 450F, makes approx. 45 rolls
2/3 c butter
2 c milk
2 tablespoons active dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 c sugar
2 teaspoons ground cardamom
approx. 5 1/3 c all purpose flour
4 oz almond paste
1 teaspoons cardamom
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3 tablespoons softened butter
1 egg lightly beaten
1. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Add the milk and heat to 120F. In a large bowl add the dry yeast, approx. 1 tablespoon of the sugar. Pour in 1 cup of the warm milk and butter mixture and stir until the yeast has dissolved. Let sit for 10 min until it starts to bubble.
2. Add salt, cinnamon, cardamom, the rest of the sugar and milk mixture into the bowl and stir. Add around 2/3 c of the flour, mixing to combine.
3. Knead the dough until smooth and elastic. Add more flour, but reserve 1/2-3/4c. The dough is ready when it's letting go of the sides of the bowl. Sprinkle some flour over the surface of the dough and cover with a cloth and set in a draft free warm place. Let rise until double in size. Approx. 45 min.
4. While the dough is rising make the filling by grating the almond paste and mix with the cardamom and butter until smooth.
5. Knead the dough until smooth on a lightly floured surface. The dough is ready when the cut surface of the dough has even pores. If the there are big holes the dough needs to be worked some more.
6. Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into a flat, large rectangle. Spread the filling over the rectangles. Start to roll up from both long ends of the dough.
Comments will be approved before showing up.